Kombucha, Jun & Water Kefir
What is Kombucha?
Kombucha is a traditional beverage produced by fermenting sugared tea using a symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast (SCOBY) commonly called a “mother” or “mushroom”. The microbial populations in a SCOBY vary; the yeast component generally includes Saccharomyces cerevisiae, along with other species; the bacterial component almost always includes Gluconacetobacter xylinus to oxidize yeast-produced alcohols to acetic acid (and other acids).[Although the SCOBY is commonly called “tea fungus” or “mushroom”, it is actually a symbiotic growth of acetic acid bacteria and osmophilic yeast species in a zoogleal mat. The living bacteria are said to be probiotic adding to a healthy digestion system.
What is Jun Tea?
Jun tea like Kombucha, is a naturally sparkling fermented beverage. Similar to kombucha, you need a SCOBY (symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast) to brew Jun, however it only uses green tea and raw honey for the fermentation. Jun has milder flavor profiles then Kombucha and has been termed the "Champagne of Kombucha". The belief is that Jun originated in the Himalayas by monks and spiritual warrior nomads who roamed the highlands of Tibet.
Here at KMK Living Inc. we brew our Wild Mountain Jun using only organic fair trade green tea and locally produced raw honey. We flavor with organic and natural fruits & herbs locally sourced when available. Our Wild Mountain Jun is raw, unpasteurized, contains no added shelf life chemicals, only adding carbonation (CO2) to ensure a consistent sparkling beverage.
What is Water-Kefir?
Tibicos, or water kefir, is also a traditional fermented drink made with sugared water and a symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeasts(SCOBY) held in a polysaccharide biofilm matrix created by the bacteria. It is sometimes consumed as an alternative to milk based probiotic drinks or tea-cultured products such as kombucha. Tibicos does not contain caffeine, it has a slightly sweeter, more citrus sour flavor profile and studies show it contains a larger amount of probiotics of different strains of yeast and bacteria than Kombucha or Jun.
Here at KMK Living Inc. when brewing Water-Kefir we use a blend of organic cane & coconut sugars, natural fruit purees, fruit juices and natural herbal teas in a long slow ferment to convert almost all of the available sugars into probiotics. Our Water-Kefir has no added chemicals for "shelf life", contains only natural flavors and colors and we do not pasteurize our final products, nor do we add any chemicals to stabilize it, only adding carbonation (CO2) to ensure a consistent sparkling beverage.
On average Jun, kombucha and Tibicos contain approximately 35 calories per cup/236.5 ml serving. This serving contains 0 g of fat, 0 g of protein and approximately 6-8g of carbohydrates, approximately 6-8g of those are sugar, 0 g are dietary fiber, and the rest are complex carbohydrates.
- If you are pregnant or breast feeding, please consult with your healthcare professional before consuming our products.
- Please note: Kombucha, Jun & Water-Kefir are fermented beverages and contain small levels of naturally occurring alcohol (0.0% - 0.95%). Do not consume if you are avoiding alcohol due to pregnancy, allergies, sensitivities, or religious beliefs.
- Contents under pressure - do not shake.
- May leak or gush if left unrefrigerated - keep refrigerated
- Since everyone's digestive system is different, we recommend slowly introducing our products into your regular diet. Begin with about 4 ounces(approximately ½ cup or 120 ml), once per day then gradually increase your amount or times per day, 8 - 12 ounces a day is common for regular consumers of our products. It is best to listen to your body to determine how much is right for you.
KMK Living Inc. does not claim any benefits regarding our products except your satisfaction. Our products are to be used at your own discretion. While we may state our beliefs of what we think these products will do, they simply are our beliefs of what we have developed the products to do – they are not claims. We have to stress that nothing on this web site, including any testimonials, can be construed to mean any claim to treatment, diagnosis or curing of any disease.